Women’s lacrosse hegemony

The Williams women’s lacrosse team preserved their perfect record this week, finishing up ranked number two nationally. The Ephs extended their record to 11-0, with an 18-2 win over Wesleyan and a 22-8 triumph over Mt. Holyoke.

Leading all scorers in Saturday’s game against Wesleyan was All-American Alana Teutonico ’98 with seven goals and three assists.

Robin Severud ’00 began the Eph’s attack, scoring five minutes into the game. Severud’s goal ignited the Ephs offense who then went on to score the next eight goals. Wesleyan was able to score one goal before the half, but the damage was done and the Ephs ended the first half after amassing an 8-1 lead.

The Ephs continued the domination in the second half, adding ten more goals. Along with Teutonico, the Ephs offense was powered by captain Lauren Gioia ’98 with three goals and three assists, Caroline Nesbit ’99 with two goals and two assists, Cara Shortsleeve ’00 with a goal and two assists, Sarah Roth ’98 with a goal and an assist and first-years Michelle Kovacs and Kristen Sullivan each adding a goal. Julianne Austin ’99 returned to goal after suffering from a sprained ankle making seven saves.

Earlier in the week the Ephs trounced Mount Holyoke 22-8. The Ephs displayed their offensive depth as 11 different players found the back of the net. In the match Caroline Nesbit ’99 broke the school record for most assists in one season, adding five assists to her total.

The previous record had been held by Liz Endress ‘96 with 25 assists in a season. Nesbitt now has 34 assists on the season.

Gioia led the team with five goals, Teutonico added four, while Shortsleeve and Roth each contributed two goals. Also scoring for the Ephs were Tina Eide ’98, Meghan Cleary ’00, C.J. Navins ’01, Kristi Grippi ’00, Alison Furey ’99 and Kovacs.

Goalie Dede Orraca-Tettah ’99 held off Mount Holyoke’s scoring attempts making six saves. Jessica Strivel led Mount Holyoke with five goals.

This Wednesday the women face defending national champion Middlebury at home at 4:15 p.m. and then Amherst on Saturday in an attempt to improve on their number two ranking.