Softball team falters at home

After winning their first three games this week the women’s softball team dropped a pair of hard-fought games to the Trinity Bantams at home on Saturday, bringing their record to 20-8.

Saturday’s doubleheader against Trinity was marked by outstanding pitching from both teams. Trinity blanked the Ephs 2-0 in the first game and then shut them out again 1-0 in the second.

In the first game Catherine Bagley ’99 took the mound for the Ephs and faced off against the Bantams Beth Mooradian ’00. Bagley recorded five strikeouts to Mooradian’s one. Combined, both pitchers surrendered a mere six hits in the game.

The game remained scoreless until the sixth inning when Trinity scored both of their runs. After Tara Hanlon ’98 and Briana Stanton ’01 both singled, Mooradian stepped to the plate and smacked a ground-rule double scoring Hanlon. Stanton also scored a few minutes later on Alison McBride ’99’s sacrifice fly.

The two runs were all Trinity produced, but they proved enough. The biggest scoring opportunity for the Ephs came in the bottom of the second, when they left the bases loaded at the close of the inning.

The second game was another pitcher’s duel. Pitching for the Ephs was Ramona Nicholson ’98, who chalked up six strikeouts while allowing only two hits. Kristen Graham ’98 took the mound for the Bantams and recorded three strikeouts and surrendered six hits. Trinity’s sole run came in the top of the third inning. Kelly Feller ’01 was hit by a pitch, and then advanced to second on Anna Norland ’98’s sacrifice bunt. Feller then took advantage of a wild pitch and progressed to third, where she later scored on Hanlon’s single.

The previous Tuesday the Ephs journeyed to Smith College, where Williams won both games of a doubleheader by scores of 3-0 and 3-2 respectively. Bagley started the first game for the Ephs and pitched a gem without allowing a run. Williams jumped out to an early lead 1-0 in the first inning when catcher Becky Logue ’99 singled to drive home third baseman Amanda Robinson ’01.

Nicholson was on the mound for the Eph’s second game. After three innings the Ephs amassed a 3-0 lead Smith was unable to overcome. Smith’s only runs came in the fifth inning when they scored twice twice off a double.