WUFO competes for Yale Cup

This past weekend the Williams Ultimate Frisbee team (WUFO) competed at Yale University in the Yale Cup. This was the first tournament in the northeast this season and most of the top teams were there.

Williams arrived at Yale greeted by sunny skies and grassy fields. Their first round opponent was the inexperienced Vassar team. Williams came out strong with tough defense and flowing offense and took half 8-1. Not much can be said of the second half, except that Dan Niedzwieki ’99 and Jon Alexander ’00 worked well together and connected for many points. Williams closed out the game 15-2.

The second game of the day was against Harvard, the sixth ranked team in the nation. They have a large and experienced team that doesn’t make many mistakes. Harvard came out strong with a 2-0 lead on sloppy defense by Williams. WUFO tied up the score 2-2 with a forehand up the line from Austin Chang ’99 to Brian Connors ’00. Williams was playing well and the score was close throughout the first half. Harvard threw good zone

defense for a few points and Williams couldn’t break it, until Lyn Debevoise ’98 connected with Mike Darowish ’98 for a score. Harvard took half 8-5. Harvard continued to throw their zone defense after half but Williams had patience and capitalized with a few points.

With the score 11-8 Harvard, Williams began to fade. Their tough defense wrecked havoc on the Williams offense. The game ended 15-10, with the score not reflecting the close nature of the game. Third year rookie uncle Finke ’99 played incredible deep defense and single handily scored half of William’s points.

The next game of the day was against our neighbors over the mountains, SUNY Albany. They had a small team and were dead tired. Williams capitalized on this and ran up the score early. Ted Satterthwaite ’00 and Duncan Mieklejohn ’01 played great defense and connected for a score in the first half. Albany fought back and kept the game close. The freshman contingent on Williams played great defense and kept WUFO in the game. Pete Jones ’01 and Bailey McCallum ’01 both scored on long hucks from Niedzwieki. Williams was able to close out the game 15-10 on nice flow and a one handed grab by Darowish.

With the toughest games over, a tired Williams team ended the day against a very young and inexperienced Yale B team. With many people from the Williams sideline playing this game, Yale B had no chance. Great playing by Ben Slocum ’98 and Brian Frederick ’98 kept the Williams offense rolling as Jon Berinstein ’98 showed Yale a thing or too about how to play ultimate. Williams closed out the day with a victory and a 3-1 record, good enough for second in their pool and place in the A bracket on Sunday.

The first round opponent on Sunday was Columbia, a team Williams had yet to face. The game was close in the beginning, with Williams down 4-2 at one point. Williams tied up the score at 6-6 with a great upper deck defensive swat from Jones on a unsuspecting Columbia player. Williams cruised to half 8-6. Columbia could only muster 3 more points the rest of the game as a hot Williams offense and stifling defense cruised to a victory. The final score was 15-9 with uncle Finke scoring the last 4 points of the game.

The next game, Williams faced Yale A team in the quarter finals of the tournament. Yale is one of the best teams in the northeast, matching up very well against Williams. Williams had a tough game ahead, against a deeper and more athletic Yale team. Early in the game, Williams kept the game close, with every point lasting more that 15 minutes. Deep threat

Slocum caught a long up wind huck to even the score at 2-2. Williams started to fade as the points kept dragging on and fresh Yale players kept subbing in after every point. Because of fatigue, Williams became careless and played erratically, often having 3 or 4 turn overs a point. Williams only managed to score 7 points as Yale rolled over them, 15-7.

The first tournament of the spring ended with a loss, but it showed Williams what it needed to work on the rest of the spring in preparation for sectionals.