Vice President Healy resigns

Vice President for Administration, Treasurer and Secretary to the Board of Trustees David G. Healy will resign in June to pursue new interests.

In his letter of resignation, Healy wrote, “After eight years of satisfying effort and rewarding achievement, it is time to embrace the natural evolution of new opportunities for myself and new changes for the college.”

Announced on Friday, Healy’s new assignment will be Assistant Headmaster of the Milton Academy in Milton, Mass. Having been employed in higher education all his life, Healy is anticipating a different but related line of work where he will have a wider range of responsibilities. However, it is with some regret that he leaves Williams. He commented, “This has been a great place to work, I have had a wonderful job with lots of exciting things to do, and I am proud to have done what I wanted accomplished.” He added, “After eight years, it’s time to do new things.”

President of the College Harry C. Payne’s letter of announcement said: “On behalf of the Board of Trustees and David’s many colleagues and friends, I want to express our great appreciation for his eight years of devoted service and considerable achievement here at Williams. His efforts in our capital project, financial management, and other administrative areas have resulted in a remarkable strengthening of the institution.”

As treasurer, Healy has overseen improvements in the management of the College’s financial system, including the tremendous growth of the endowment. Quick to credit a rising stock market for the healthy increases in the current $765 million fund, the performance of the fund has improved in comparison to its peers. He has also upgraded the reporting of the fund, implemented new personnel policies and procedures, and has restructured the College’s employee benefits programs to include more offerings and achieve significant cost savings.

Another major accomplishment under Healy’s tenure has been the creation of a $140 million capital plan that has planned the College’s capital projects on a ten-year rolling forward basis, the major piece of which is the $47 million unified science center currently under construction. Healy has also been involved with the founding of Berkshire Capital Investors, Inc., which provides venture capital for the development of local business activity. Payne commented, “He had served the College well, too, by helping broaden and deepen its engagement with the local and regional community.”

The search for Healy’s replacement has already begun in earnest. Certain jobs are being reassigned in a general administrative reshuffling. The new College secretary is JoAnn Muir while Associate Treasurer Douglas W. Phillips has been promoted to Treasurer. A six-member search committee including Payne, Provost Stuart B. Crampton, Dean of the College Peter T. Murphy, Assistant to the President Nancy J. McIntyre, Chair of the Economics Department Cathy B. Hill and Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations/Development Mary Ellen Czerniak has been formed to fill the office of the vice president of administration. The committee’s first meeting was held Friday. Also, a search firm has been hired to help generate candidates for the vacated post. Healy’s replacement is slated to start by Sept. 1.