Softball slams Middlebury in double header

The Williams College women’s softball team improved their season record to 17-6 with two huge wins in a double-header against the Middlebury Panthers. “I thought we had a solid performance,” Williams’ head coach Dave Caputi said in response to the games, “I was impressed by Middlebury. They played well for their first season as a varsity team.” Williams won the first game by a score of 6-0, and the second by a score of 3-1.

Pitching for the Ephs in the first game was Catherine Bagley ’99 who tallied four strike-outs aided by catcher Becky Logue ’99. Commenting on the season Bagley expressed optimism saying, “things are really coming together.” Bagley thinks the team has a lot of talent and that their focus on hitting is really paying off.

The Ephs put their hitting on display scoring first in the bottom of the first inning with one out and the bases loaded. Kathleen Higgins ’99 steped up to the plate and singled, driving in centerfielder Laura Jacobs ’99. Pitcher Ramona Nicholson ’98 then scored on an error.

In the bottom of the second, Williams scored another run when Jacobs made it home on another error. In the bottom of the fourth, Higgins picked up two more RBI’s driving in Jacobs and catcher/outfielder Jennifer Garabedian ’01 with a single. The final run of the game came in the bottom of the sixth, with one out and the bases loaded. Shortstop Laura Brenneman ’99 hit a single driving in third baseman Amanda Robinson ’01.

Sound pitching for the Ephs in the second game was supplied by Nicholson, who picked up the win with the help of Garabedian’s catching. The Ephs first got on the scoreboard in the bottom of the fourth when Brenneman scored on an error. Pitcher/third baseman Kathleen Mason ’99 then hit a single to drive in Higgins. First baseman/outfielder Beth Cadogan ’01 then hit a single driving in Mason, bringing the final score to 3-1.

Earlier in the week the team beat the Mt. Holyoke Lyons by a score of 20-0. This was head coach Dave Caputi’s 210th career win. The game was ended due to the eight run rule after the top of the fifth inning. The win improved pitcher Bagley’s record to 8-4 at the time. Bagley was sensational, giving up only one hit in the three innings that she pitched. Coming in for Bagley as pitcher in the fourth inning was Mason.

Bagley quickly retired three batters in the first, followed by an Ephs scoring rampage. They scored five runs in the first, four in the third, and 11 in the fourth. The Ephs had 16 hits, and were helped by Mt. Holyoke’s 10 errors. The Ephs had one error, but it did not cost them any runs.

Williams faces Smith on the road Tuesday at 4:00, in a double-header, MCLA away at 4:15 on Friday and returns home for a double-header on Saturday against Trinity at 1:00.