Men’s lacrosse stumbles at Hartwick

The men’s lacrosse team, ranked eleventh in the country, was upset 8-6 by Hartwick, and rebounded to beat Trinity 13-6. Hartwick gave the Ephs (7-1) their first defeat of the year.

Hartwick led 2-1 after the first quarter, and 5-4 at halftime. In the third quarter, Williams rallied to tie the game at six. Hartwick (4-5) scored twice in the final ten minutes to snatch the win. Nick Weisser ’00 led the scoring for the Ephs with two goals. Oliver Smith ’98, Andy Jones ‘00, Nick Martinelli ‘00, and Mike Johnson ’99 each scored once. Goalie John Servidea ’99 faced 35 shots and stopped 27 of them. The Ephs managed 21 shots against Hawk goalie Brett Jacobson.

Against Trinity, the Ephs scored early and often. They jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the first quarter and never looked back. A 7-2 halftime lead and consistent second-half defense secured the game. “The boys bounced back from Hartwick,” commented head coach Renzie Lamb, “It’s nice to be back at home.” Co-captain Smith led all scorers with four goals, three which came in the first ten minutes. John Moorhead ’00 scored three goals and added two assists, while Seth Low ’98 and co-captain Brady Murray ’98 each scored twice. Goalie Servidea notched 11 saves in another consistent performance.

This week, the Ephs host Conn College at home on Tuesday, travel to Springfield on Thursday, and face Wesleyan at home on Saturday.