Ephs upset #2 ranked Bantams

The Williams women’s lacrosse team remains undefeated after winning their ninth game of the season, upsetting the previously undefeated Trinity College Bantams by a score of 13-10. The Bantams were recently ranked the #2 team in the nation, while Williams was just behind them in the #6 spot.

The Ephs’ leading scorer, Alana Teutonico ’98 led the way for Williams scoring five goals, followed by Caroline Nesbitt ’99, Lauren Gioia ’98 and Alison Furey ’99, who each tallied a pair of goals. Also adding a goal each were Robin Severud ’00 and Tina Eide ’98. Picking up assists for the Ephs were Nesbitt with four, and Katie Minton ’99 and Furey with one each.

Alana Teutonico made history in the exciting win by surpassing Kasia Sullivan’s 278 total career points. Teutonico ended the game with five goals and a total of 281 career points. Teutonico was surprised at her feat, but commented, “I’d rather be winning than earning records. The team is playing really well and teamwork is why we won.”

The first half was up and down as both Trinity and Williams took turns dominating the offensive zone. The Ephs and the Bantams traded goals and the first half ended in a 5-5 tie.

However, the Ephs emerged from the break ready to dominate the second half as all-American Teutonico sparked the Williams offense with back-to-back goals. Williams netminder Julianne Austin ’99 came up huge for the Ephs tallying 10 saves, including a key interception in the first half.

Earlier in the week, the team maintained their perfect record by defeating Smith College (8-4) by a score of 22-5. The Ephs dominated the Pioneers throughout the match-up, while demonstrating their offensive prowess.

Teutonico led the Ephs in scoring with five goals, followed by Furey, who tallied four goals and Gioia who scored three. Three players, Nesbitt, Cara Shortsleeve ’00 and Meghan Cleary ’00 scored twice for the Ephs while Severud, Sara Roth ’98, Courtney Stokes ’99, and Sarah Commito ’01 each added a goal in the win.

Picking up assists for the Ephs were Nesbitt (2), Shortsleeve (3), Severud, Roth, Sam Daigneault ’00 and Caitlin Ritchie ’00. Dede Orraca-Tetteh ’99 played a solid role as goalie, making seven saves.

Coach Mason was satisfied with the win, saying, “Smith has had a good season, but they had some injuries today and they just weren’t as strong as we were. We were able to keep our intensity throughout the game.”

On Tuesday the team added another win with the defeat of Skidmore College (8-4 ) by a score of 17-8. Skidmore surprised the Ephs with a much improved squad, but Williams turned on the offensive pressure to secure the victory. Gioia led the Ephs in scoring with six goals, while Furey and Shortsleeve tallied three goals each. Teutonico scored two goals as Nesbitt, Cleary and Eide each added a goal in the win. Picking up assists for the Ephs were Nesbitt (6), Shortsleeve (3) and Teutonico.

At the start of the first half, Skidmore came out hard and fast while Williams had trouble handling the ball and going to the goal. By the end of the first half the score was tied at 6-6.

Williams played a much stronger second half, taking advantage of the ball and making better offensive plays. Nesbitt exhibited her stellar passing skills throughout the game and finishing with six assists. The Skidmore players tried to concentrate on shutting down Teutonico, and despite being held to two goals, Teutonico was instrumental in winning the ball back for the Ephs by personally forcing four turnovers.

Skidmore received offensive help from Vanessa Raptupolus and Gwen Vail, who both scored three goals, but their play was not enough to stop the Ephs who outshot their opponent 37-10. Williams netminder Julianne Austin ’99 made five saves, while Skidmore’s Lauren Molloy tallied 18 saves.

Looking to the future, Teutonico believes that if the team “keeps playing like this, if we all play together then the season will turn out just fine.” The Ephs travel to Mount Holyoke today and host Wesleyan on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. in their quest for an undefeated season.