Women’s lacrosse starts with six big wins

On Saturday, the Williams Women’s Lacrosse team tallied their sixth consecutive victory as they defeated Tufts University by a score of 15-7. This extends the Ephs record to 6-0. The Tufts Jumbos put up a strong performance, but not strong enough to overcome the Williams power-house.

The first half of the game was close, as the Jumbos matched goals with the Ephs. At the end of the first half, the score was 8-5. The Ephs demonstrated their superior skill in the second half as they dominated the scoring, tallying seven goals and only giving up two on their way to victory.

All-American Alana Teutonico ’98 led the team with seven goals. Robin Severud ’00 and Caroline Nesbit ’99 supported her effort, each adding a pair of goals to secure victory. The netminder, Juliane Austin ’99, played a great game, making nine saves.

Coach Chris Mason was pleased with the team’s performance. “Tufts provided the best pressure of any opponent we’ve faced so far. The Tufts/Williams rivalry is intense and both teams played hard. Tufts had spells of momentum but we were able to challenge them and create our own momentum. The second half was definitely our strongest.”

On April 8, the Ephs annihilated Springfield College by a score of 13-2. Despite playing on unfamiliar Astroturf, the Ephs were able to dominate both ends of the field. The Ephs out-shot their opponent by a margin of 20 goals. Teutonico led the scoring with five goals. In addition, Sarah Roth ’98 scored four goals solidifying the Ephs’ victory. Austin played another excellent game, chalking up ten saves as the Ephs made quick work of the Springfield Pride.

On April 5, the Ephs beat the Bowdoin Polar Bears by a final score of 11-4. This game was not even close as the team completely outplayed their opponents. Williams scored the first goal at the 9:03 mark. The Ephs then went on to score the next five goals, bringing the score to 6-0 just 20 minutes into the game.

The Polar Bears never recovered as the Ephs let up only four goals during the entire game. Co-captain and All-American Lauren Gioia ’98 led all scorers with three goals.

In their third game of play in the season, the Ephs handed the Bates Bobcats a defeat by the score of 16-7. This game was particularly important since Teutonico, who scored nine goals, became the second Eph ever to reach 200 goals. Kasia Sullivan ‘96, who tallied 234 during her stay at Williams, still holds the record. Teutonico is on track to beat that record this year. At first, it looked as if the Ephs would have their hands full as Bates scored first at the 2:54 mark. However, the Ephs responded by scoring seven goals before the half was over.

In the second of two games played in Florida, the Ephs crushed the Plymouth State Panthers. The final score was 19-2. Nesbit played an exceptional game by tallying seven assists, a Williams record. The previous record was held by Maureen Flaherty ’91 who once made six assists in one game.

The lacrosse team’s first game of the season was played against the University of Denver. The Ephs entered the game ranked sixth by Lacrosse Magazine in its pre-season poll. They lived up to expectations, readily defeating the University of Denver by the score of 23-4. The University of Denver is expected to jump to Division I next season. Led by All–Americans Teutonico and Gioia, the team was able to dominate the action from early on. Their first game, also played in Florida, was an excellent way to start off what has already turned into a promising season.