Williams names three new women’s sports coaches

Williams College Athletic Director Bob Peck announced today that three women have been named as head coaches of four Williams women’s varsity teams.

Amy Carlson will be the head coach of women’s ice hockey, serve as an assistant softball coach and as an instructor in physical education. Carlson, a native of Coventry, Rhode Island, joins the Williams staff after serving as an assistant coach of women’s ice hockey, soccer and softball at Middlebury College.

A 1996 graduate of Providence College, Carlson captained the Friars’ ice hockey team as a senior and played for the ECAC women’s title in each of her four seasons, winning the first three and finishing second in 1996. Carlson holds a B.A. in social science from Providence and received the William

T. McCue ’31 Award as the outstanding student-athlete who intends to continue his/her education.

Julie Greenwood ’96 will be the head coach of women’s tennis and squash teams and serve as an assistant professor of physical education. Greenwood served as the interim coach of women’s tennis and squash this year at Williams, replacing Erin Robson who was on personal leave. Last fall the Ephs compiled a 5-1 record in tennis and posted a third place finish at the New England Championships. This past winter the Ephs were 7-10 in squash and to date the tennis team is 1-1.

While at Williams, Greenwood lettered in tennis and squash all four years. Six times in her career Greenwood earned All-America laurels, three in tennis and three in squash. In 1994 and 1996 she was a member of the NCAA Div. III tennis doubles champion and in 1996 received collegiate squash’s Ann Wetzel Award as the most improved player in the nation. As a senior at Williams, the Wayne, PA native was named the female winner of the Purple Key Trophy for contributing the most to the Williams athletic program in terms of individual achievement, leadership and character.

Robyn Horner will be the head coach of women’s crew and serve as an instructor in physical education. A graduate of the University of Minnesota, Horner served the past academic year as an interim coach of women’s crew at Williams and posted an impressive 44-7 mark and a fifth place finish at nationals. Horner holds a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from Minnesota and is completing her M.A. in Kinesiology at Minnesota.

Prior to coaching at Williams, Horner spent four years as the women’s novice coach at the University Minnesota and two years as the women’s coach at the Minneapolis Rowing Club.

As a competitor, Horner has garnered an impressive list of national honors at prestigious competitions, including: a gold medal at the 1993 U.S. Nationals lightweight four; a gold medal at the 1993 U.S. Olympic Festival lightweight four and a gold medal at the 1992 U.S. Nationals lightweight four.