Men’s lacrosse remains undefeated

The twelfth-ranked men’s lacrosse team beat Tufts, RPI, and Hamilton to improve their record to 6-0.

Last Saturday the Ephs traveled to Medford, MA to take on the struggling Tufts Jumbos. The score was tied 1-1 early in the first half, but then Williams exploded for eight unanswered goals to close out the half leading 9-1. The Ephs scored seven goals in the third quarter to seal the game, and finished with a 19-5 win. Thirteen different players contributed goals. Michael Johnson ’99 and Nick Weisser ’00 led the Ephs with three goals each, while seniors Sean Bowler and Seth Low each contributed two. Taylor Smith ’99 added four assists, and goalie David Willett ’99 had eight saves.

Against sixteenth-ranked Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Williams trailed 2-0 after the first two minutes, and 2-1 after the first quarter. Goals by John Moorhead ’00 and Geoff Cohane ’00 helped Williams take a 3-2 halftime lead, which they never relinquished. In the third quarter, the Ephs broke the game open with seven goals and finished with a 12-6 victory. “RPI has an excellent team,” commented head coach Renzie Lamb, “but our depth won the game. We ran more people.” The cold and rainy conditions made defense and possession even more important.

Goalie John Servidea ’99 had 10 saves, and senior John Tatum scooped up ten ground balls. Moorhead was the Ephs’ leading scorer with three goals and two assists. Co-captain Oliver Smith ’98 had two goals and an assist, and Weisser and Co-captain Brady Murray ’98 each netted a goal and two assists.

The Ephs pounded Hamilton College 24-4 in their home debut. Williams goalies Willett and Servidea saw little action on a snowy and cold day as the Eph offense went on 11 and 8 goal runs. The goalies saw a total of 16 shots on the day. The offense was led by Weisser, who scored 4 times. O. Smith and T. Smith added three each, and Graham Davidson ’01, Cohane, Johnson, Rob Adamo ’01, Low, and Moorhead each scored twice.

The Ephs’ next home game is this Saturday, against Trinity.