Golf team hits the greens

David Aisner ’00 would be the first to tell you that the spring season got off to an interesting start for the Williams Golf team. The sophomore golfer traded a little piece of himself for a share of medalist honors in Friday’s tournament at Hamilton College. With only a few holes remaining, Aisner was strolling around the tee box when a fellow competitor’s practice swing inadvertently made contact with his ankle, sending a sizable chunk of flesh into the air. Yes, golf can be an extremely violent contact sport.

Aisner limped into the clubhouse with a solid six over par 78, which was good enough for a three-way tie for top individual honors. Considering the conditions, temperatures in the 40’s and gusty winds whipping across the Mohawk Valley, Williams’ total score of 318 (the sum of the top 4 out of 6 scores) was a respectable way to begin the spring half of the ’97-’98 golf season. Other notable scores were: Devin Redmond ’99 with 79, John McCoy ’01 with 80, and captain Evan Kurtz ’98 with 81.

The Williams golf team enters the spring season ranked seventeenth in the NCAA Division III Coaches Poll and second in District One (New England) and hopes to make a return visit to Nationals, which will be held in Jekyll Island, Georgia, next month. Next Saturday afternoon, the Ephs will host Hamilton and Middlebury at Taconic Golf Club.