Women swimmers take fourth

With six first place finishes, three second place showings and about a dozen top ten placings the Williams Women’s Swimming and Diving team showed its strength at the Division III National Championships hosted by Principia College. The women came in fourth overall in the national field.

First place finishes were secured by Ephs Jessica Stokes ’99 in the 200-yard IM, Marla Robertson ’98 in the 200-yard butterfly, Erin Anderson ’00 in the 100-yard breaststroke and the 200-yard breaststroke and by diver Kristine Taylor ’01 on the one-meter and three-meter springboard. Taylor was also named Diver of the Meet. Heather Cyr ’01 placed thirteenth on the three-meter board.

In the first race, Williams started things with a bang in the 200-yard freestyle relay. The relay team of E. Anderson, Liana Thompsom ’01, Stokes, and Amy Warren ’01 finished fifth with a time of 1:37.83. Stokes then went on to finish first in the 200-yard individual medley with a championship time of 2:06.31. In the 50-yard freestlye Erin Anderson came in twelfth with a time of 24.44.

In other relay action, the team of Jocelyn Sutton ’01, E. Anderson, Robertson, and Warren took fourth in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 3:55.39. Later that day Robertson swam to a second place finish in the 500-yard freestlye, recording a time of 5:00. Also in the 500-yard freestyle, Tiffany Talley ’99 earned thirteenth. In diving action, Taylor finished first in the one meter springboard competition with a final score of 383.45.

The Ephs began their second day with a fourth place finish in the 200-yard medley relay. The team of Sutton, E. Anderson, Stokes, and Warren finished with a time of 1:48.05. In another relay event, the team of Thompson, Stokes, Kate Nolan ’99, and Robertson finished an impressive second in the 800-yard freestyle relay with a time 7:41.60.

In individual events, Erin Anderson won the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:04.71. Later, Marla Robertson finished second in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:27.82. Elizabeth Boyd ’00 finished tenth with a time of 4:39.42 and Tory Nicholson ’98 placed seventeenth with a time of 4:43.0 in this event. Jocelyn Sutton ’01 also competed in the 100-yard backstroke in the day’s competition.

In the final day of the competition Williams really left their mark winning two individual events. The finals started with Talley taking sixth place in the 1650-yard freestyle with a time of 17:29.21. In the 100 yard freestlye Williams picked up some more places as Stokes took tenth in 53:21 and Warren took fifteenth in 53:43.

And then it was the Ephs turn to shine. Erin Anderson picked up another win in the 200-yard breaststroke with a national championship time of 2:19.91.

The next race included two more strong Eph performances. Marla Robertson earned the victory in the 200-yard butterfly with the championship time of 2:06.20. Katherine Darling ’00 secured ninth in the race with a time of 2:09.81 as a bonus for the Ephs.

In the final race of the season, the 400-yard freestlye, the Ephs lethal relay team of E. Anderson, Robertson, Warren and Stokes pulled off an exceptional third place finish to end their national meet in style. The team blasted through the water to finish in a time of 3:29.47.

When the points were totaled at the end of the meet, Williams wound up with a fourth place NCAA Division III finish with 375 total points. Rounding out the top four were Kenyon in first with 693.5 points, Dennison in second (522) and University of California at San Diego in third (384). This strong finish tops of another season of dreams for the Williams Women’s Swimming and Diving team.