Alsdorf, McCue, Stuhlsatz qualify for Nationals

A small group of athletes made the trip to the Haas Athletic Center at Wheaton College for the ECAC Track and Field Championships. With the NCAA championships a week away, top performers Paul Alsdorf ’99 and David Stuhlsatz ’99 took the week off in anticipation of Nationals, while others were looking for qualifying marks.

Dan McCue ’99 was looking to improve on the NCAA provisional qualifying mark in the 5000-meter that he set last week at Boston University. Placing fourth, McCue lowered his time by about two seconds to 14:57.27. McCue was informed that his time will qualify him for nationals.

In other distance events, Yuneng Li ’99 earned a sixth place finish in the 1000-meter run (2:34.06). Jay Slowik ’01 was close behind in tenth (2:35.20). In the 3000-meter, Reed Harlow ’01 placed eleventh in 8:57.96, while Shad Miller ’00 finished thirteenth (9:07.02). The 3200-meter relay team of Slowik, Ben Chaffin ’98, Teddy Wasserman ‘00 and Miller placed seventh in 8:06.35.

Two first-year students led the way for the Ephs in the sprints. Jake Israelow concluded his great season with a fourth place finish in a tough 55-meter hurdle field. His time of 8.15 was just .01 shy of third place.

Ed Rossier was the other impressive rookie, as he ran a strong personal best in the 200-meter (23.02) to finish sixth. Jon Pearson ’00 and Chidozie Alozie ’01 were somewhat disappointing in the 55-meter dash, despite the tough competition, placing thirteenth and fourteenth, respectively. A nagging foot injury kept Alozie out of the 1600-meter relay, but the team of Rossier, Tri-captain Sam Young ’98, substitute Pearson, and Aaron Decamp ’99 ran strongly to place tenth in 3:28.03.

Saturday’s meet represented the end of the indoor season for most of the Ephs, but a select few will press on against America’s best at the NCAA Division III championships next weekend at Brandeis University. Representing the Ephs at nationals next weeeknd will be Alsdorf, Stuhlsatz and McCue.