Women’s hockey season ends on high note

The women’s ice hockey team ended their season on a high note with a 5-1 win over Connecticut College on Sunday. The win came on the heels of a disappointing 3-0 loss to Wesleyan. The women ended their season with a record of 8-14-1.

Losing to Wesleyan was especially frustrating because the Ephs were unable to put the puck in the net on their home ice. Earlier in the season Williams almost overtook Wesleyan in the third period when they faced off in Connecticut, so they hoped to capitalize on the home team advantage. Susie Bellizi scored all three goals for Wesleyan, two in the first period and one unassisted goal in the third. Wesleyan outshot the Ephs, though Kate Niederhoffer ‘99 had 26 saves.

The final game of the season against Conn. College was an emotional one for the Ephs, as it was the last time Sharon Rackow ‘98, Jess Charland ‘98, Anna Groskin ‘98 and Captain Emmy Starr ‘98 would skate for Williams. Unfortunately, Rackow had to watch the game from the bench due to an injury earlier in the week.

Williams was looking to cap their season off with a big win as earlier in the season the Ephs defeated the Camels 9-0. Though it took a little while for the scoreboard to reflect their dominance of the game, Williams skated circles around the Conn players from the drop of the first puck. Kristen Lee ‘01 was the first to put the puck in the net. Groskin and Starr notched the assists on the goal that came 10 minutes into the first period.

The Ephs continued to dominate the game as much of it was played in the Conn. College defensive zone. The Ephs passed the puck around as time and again the only thing the Camels could do was ice the puck or earn hooking penalties.

Charland scored the first of her two goals towards the end of the first period. She inched off the blue line in an attempt to create an Eph overload in the offensive zone. Katie Gold ‘00 fed her the puck and she slammed it into the back of the net. Victoria Goldman ‘01 assisted on the play.

Despite the early season rout the Camels were not willing to accept another loss so easily. Just over five minutes into the period they managed to slip the puck past Eph goalie Becky Sanborn ‘01, bringing the score to 2-1.

Despite the fact that Conn. College managed to rack up five of their game total eight penalties in the second period the Ephs only managed to put the puck in the net once. The goal came at 13:33, as Gold slipped Cara Shortsleeve ‘00 the puck in front of the net and she ripped it past the Camel goaltender.

The third period belonged to the seniors on the team as Charland scored her second goal with just under four minutes into the period off another assist from Gold. Starr later scored impressively off of an assist from Shortsleeve.

The Camels notched their eighth penalty with just over two minutes on the clock in the third period. The Eph power play unit set up in the offensive zone and worked the puck around waiting for one of the Conn. players to skate out of position. With less than a minute on the clock Starr eased into the slot area and Shortsleeve passed the puck in front of the net. The senior captain got her stick on it first and one timed it past the Conn. goalie.

Sanborn had seven saves and Niederhoffer made five, stopping a combined total of 12 of the 13 Camel shots. The Ephs had more shots in each period than the Camels had in the whole game, as they peppered the Conn. goalie with 48 shots.

Though the four seniors will be missed, the Ephs await next season eagerly. With a number of players returning, including leading scorers Shortsleeve and Gold and starting goaltender Niederhoffer, the Ephs look to have a strong season.