Track teams fight Div I competitors

Not many things intimidate the Williams College Men’s Track and Field team, not even the best athletes that New England’s Division I schools can throw at them. On Saturday, a number of Ephs took to the track at Boston University and put on an impressive performance against the region’s finest.

Leading the way for Williams was Paul Alsdorf ’99, who competed in the 5000-meter run. In a tough field the All-American ran a personal best time of 14:46.24 for a second place finish. The time was only .24 second shy of the NCAA automatic qualifying standard, and will almost certainly earn Alsdorf a berth in the national championships. Dan McCue ’99 also gave an excellent performance in the 5000, placing sixth in 14:59.15, an NCAA provisional mark and a personal best.

David Stuhlsatz ’99 has already laid claim to the title of best shot putter in the history of Williams College, and his outstanding season continued Saturday. Stuhlsatz placed third in his best event with a throw of 53’ 5 1/2″. He will be one of the top seeds at the NCAA championships in two weeks.

Including Alsdorf and McCue, the distance squad was well represented at BU. Yuneng-Li ’99 studied abroad in Australia this fall but his performance shows no signs of a shortened season. Li grabbed seventh in the 1000-meter run in a personal best time of 2:32.81. Jay Slowik ’01 was twelfth in 2:35.50. Li also collaborated with Shad Miller ’00, Teddy Wasserman ’00, and Tim Karpoff ’01 on the fourteenth place 3200-meter relay (8:08.22).

Miller ran the mile and placed eighteenth in a very solid field (4:27.99). Tim Campbell ‘01, another top finisher for Williams, placed eighth in the 3000-meter run with a time of 8:40.48. Reed Harlow was twentieth (9:01.16). Finally the distance medley relay of Ben Chaffin ’98, Ed Rossier ’01, Dan Williamson ’01, and Geoff Hutchison ’98 placed fourteenth with a strong time of 10:45.08.

This is the final meet of the regular season for the Ephs, but many of the men will continue into the post season, competing in both the ECAC championship meet and the NCAA Division III nationals.

On the women’s side the setting was Smith for the Division I New England Championships. The top finisher for Williams was Tara Crowley, who came in seventh in the mile. Her time of 5:09.96 provisionally qualifies her for the NCAA Division III Championship Meet.

In other action Tri-captain Jill Metzger ‘99 came in ninth in the 500-meter with a personal best time of 1:29.19 and Meg Randall ‘99 finished in the 5000-meter with a time of 18:20. Next week the women will head to Wheaton College to compete in the Division III ECAC meet and prepare for Nationals the week after.