Tasse victorious in giant slalom at Middlebury

The members of the Williams College Ski Team finished out their season in style at the EISA Championship races held at Middlebury this past weekend. Among some serious competition the women’s Alpine team and men’s Nordic team posted some of their best results of the year.

The highlight of the weekend for Williams was Marie-Michel Tasse’s ‘00 first place finish in Friday’s women’s giant slalom race. “I am very happy with my race. I crashed in both races last weekend at Williams and so I was hoping to do well this weekend so I can go out to Nationals in Montana with confidence. I have had a tough time putting two runs together this year but finally it happened,” Tasse said. Backing up Tasse with strong individual finishes were teammates Alison Furey ’99 in thirteenth, and Darah Schofield ’01 in twenty-first place.

For the men, Bunge Cook ‘98 was Williams’ top finisher in eighteenth place, with John Cavanaugh ‘99 following in twenty-fifth and Dan Newhall ‘01 in thirtieth.

On the Nordic side, the soft, powdery snow was perfect for racing at 8:00 Friday, but by the time the race began at 10:00 a.m. it had become perfect for making snowmen, and not much else. Maren Eggert ’98 was the top finisher for the women’s team in the 5K classic race, racing to a personal best of twenty-second. Elly Spensley ‘01 followed with another personal best in twenty-fourth. Helena Johnson ’00 rounded out the scoring for Williams, finishing in twenty-eighth place.

Jason Lemieux ’01 led the men in their 10K classic race, finishing in twenty-sixth place. Topher Sabot ’99 was twenty-eighth, followed by Nick Trautz in thirty-second.

Saturday proved to be another fine day for the Alpine women, as they raced to a third place team finish in the slalom, their best result of the season. Tasse led the way in third place overall, with Katherine Lange ’01 in fourteenth, and Furey right behind her in fifteenth place.

The soft snow and high ruts of the slalom course proved to be a tough match for the men’s alpine team, with only two men making it to the finish line. Kyle Goodrich ’01 plowed his way through to capture twenty-ninth place, with Cook following in thirty-first.

It was a beautiful day for the spectators during the Nordic races held Saturday, but a tough one for the racers. Warm, wet snow is slow snow, and skating through it for 20 kilometers is no easy task. Fortunately, the men’s ski team was more than up for the challenge, and managed to pull together one of their best races of the season. They placed all six racers in the top 25 to finish fifth overall, only one point out of fourth. Trautz led the way for Williams in twelfth place, followed by Lemieux in thirteenth, and Ben Kamilewicz ’99 in eighteenth.

Spensley was the top Eph in the women’s 15K freestyle race, taking thirty-third place. Ellen Jacobson ‘01 was next for Williams in forty-first, with Eggert following in forty-fifth.

Nordic coach Bud Fisher’s hair barely escaped the can of purple dye this year, but the team is confident that it will not be so lucky next year. Nick Trautz and Jason Lemieux will be representing the Nordic team out in Bozeman, Montana at the NCAA Championships next week.

For the alpine team, Tasse was named to the EISA All-East Second Team, and will be cruising the slopes at the NCAAs in Montana with teammates Alison Furey and Darah Schofield. Congratulations are in order for all members of both teams for a job well done, and a season successfully completed.