Women runners earn eighth place

Personal records and travel adventures provided the high points to a women’s track Division III New England Championship meet. Sadly, the meet was dominated by individual disappointments as well as a frustrating eighth place team finish.

Tri-captain Jill Metzger ’99 provided one of the notable performances for the team, finishing second in the 600-meter dash in a blazing 1:39.75. Finishing ninth and tenth in the same event were Brooke Harnisch ’99 and tri-captain Courtney O’Connor ’99. Harnisch, O’Connor, and Metzger combined with Hagan McCurdy ’01 to run to a strong fourth place finish in 400-meter relay race in 4:07.95.

Melissa Murphy ’00 and Liz Lierman ’00 endured the pentathlon to finish fifth and fourteenth respectively. Both Murphy and Lierman capped off the competition with notable runs in the 800-meter in 2:33 and 2:34, respectively.

Shannon Mark ’00 scored for the Ephs in the shot put with an eight place finish (11.35m).

Notable performances in the distance events were had by Meg Randall ’99, fourth in the 3000-meter (10:37), Tara Crowley ’00, sixth in the 1500-meter (4:51.35), tri-captain Ellen Roh, eighth in the 5000-meter, and Yvonne Stone ’01, seventh in the 1000-meter (3:07.30).

Others strong performers were Julie Cantatore ’99, who finished tenth in the 1000-meter (3:12.90) and qualified for ECACs, Rebecca Atkinson ’00, who had a personal best of 3:16.82 in the 1000-meter, Elizabeth Roller ’01, who also notched a personal best of 11:15.92 in the 3000 meter, and Maywa Montenegro ’01, finishing tenth in the 5000-meter in 19:36, equaling her personal best.

“The track was very hard and difficult to run fast times on,” said Randall.

“I think some of us were disappointed with today. It was tough having won this meet last year. The competition has just gotten so much stronger this year,” added Roh.

Wheaton handily won the team competition defeating second place Bowdoin with a score of 136 to 82. Wheaton claimed at least two of the top three finishes in the 55-meter dash, 200-meter, and the 400-meter. They also won the 200-meter and the 400-meter relays.

While the indoor season is not over for all with Division I New Englands and ECACs occurring this weekend and next, the team looks onward to the outdoor season with hope. With the return of key team members now recovering from injury like multi-event specialist Catherine Bolten ’98, distance runner and NCAA qualifier Deb Frisone ’00, jumper Leigh Olmstead ’99 as well as the addition of spring athletes like NCAA shot-put qualifier Rebecca Brooks ’00 and freshman heptathlete Jennifer Hahn, the Ephs should rebound in the spring season.