Quan, Ojukwu finish third in New Englands

Rob Quan ‘00 and Ken Ojukwu ‘01 lead the wrestling team with their third place finishes at the New England tournament held this past weekend at Roger Williams University. The Ephs finished sixth in the team standings, and a number of members of the team earned All-New England honors.

Senior co-captains Jeremy Kay and Marty West both took fifth place, as did heavyweight Chris Sweatman ’00. Second-ranked Glenn Prichett ’00, the team’s best hope for Nationals, was forced to withdraw due to injury. “The timing was unfortunate, Glenn would have definitely made it to the finals,” commented head coach Mike Whalen.

Paul Bethe ’00 and Dan DiCenzo ’01 each won once and lost twice, failing to place. Matt Gunther ‘00 and Kenny Marines ‘01 lost their first two matches and were eliminated.

By placing in the New England tournament, Quan, Ojukwu, Kay, West, and Sweatman received All-New England honors.

“I was disappointed,” Whalen said, “Some guys didn’t know what to expect. The intensity wasn’t strong the first day. The kids we were wrestling wanted it more than we did.”

Eight of 10 starters, all either sophomores or freshmen, will wrestle again for Williams next season.

Looking ahead, coach Whalen was extremely optimistic, “We’re going to start preparing for next season tomorrow. The bright side is we get a lot of kids back next year.”