Brooks leads women’s b-ball to two big victories

The women’s basketball team added two more strong victories to their impressive season, defeating Connecticut College and Wesleyan University. Their record now stands at 18-4.

On Friday, Rebecca Brooks ’00 led the Ephs in their 65-53 win over Connecticut College. Grabbing a game high 17 rebounds, and adding 12 points and six blocks, Brooks dominated the inside.

The game began tight until the Ephs went on a 12-4 run, to go into the half with a 36-21 lead. Tenacious defense and numerous blocks by Williams deflated the Camels, and prevented them from coming within 10 points of the Ephs.

Kathleen Higgins ‘99 lead the Williams women with 18 points. Following her on the scoring chart were Brooks, Alana Teutonico ’98 with 11 points, and Erin Duffy ’99 with nine points. Katherine Moody (16 points, 13 rebounds) and Hope Maynard (11 points, 12 rebounds) were the leaders for Connecticut.

Saturday afternoon the Ephs faced Wesleyan in a match up that stayed close for most of the game. Despite the physical play of Wesleyan, Williams was able to pull out with a NESCAC win.

At the half Williams led 31-24, but the Cardinals shortened this lead to come to within two. Ultimately the Cardinals were unable to capitalize on turnovers and missed shots by the Ephs, resulting in a 64-54 victory.

According to Coach Manning “what was key was composure and experience down the stretch.” Both were important factors as Caroline Nesbit ’98 drained a deep two-pointer and Sam Daigneault ’00 had a key three point play. Teutonico posted a double-double, with 10 points, 10 rebounds, and added four assists and four steals. Higgins led the Ephs in scoring with 17 points (four steals), and Brooks commanded the post with 16 points and eight rebounds.

Wesleyan was led by a surprise off the bench, freshman Leslie Smith with 16 points and seven rebounds. The Williams women ended their week ranked number six in New England, a drop from their previous fourth place rank. Their record now stands at 18-4, and the Ephs hope to move into the top five of New England in order to make NCAA post season play.

Williams will host Hamilton in the final game of their regular season Saturday. Tip-off is at 7:30 P.M.