Alpine events dominated by the Big Green

Those brave enough to dodge Jiminy Peak skiers on their way up to the spectator area of the slalom and giant slalom courses caught a glimpse of some of the best collegiate ski racers in the country this past weekend. Dartmouth dominated the alpine events of the 1998 Winter Carnival hosted by Williams College, but the Ephs put forth a strong performance showing why they are among the top ranked collegiate skiers in the nation.

The first day of racing in Moogano ‘98 showcased the skiers in the men’s and women’s giant slalom (GS). Both races were won by skiers from Dartmouth. On the men’s side, John Cavanaugh ‘99 was the top finisher for Williams coming in thirteenth with a time of 2:03.03.

Cavanugh described the course that was set by Williams coach Bud Fisher as “pretty turny, tight and tough.” Cavanaugh believed that the race was one of his best all season, but commented that, “it means more to me to do well for my teammates as compared to the rest of the field.” First place was secured by David Viele of Darthmouth who finished the course in 1:57.47.

In the women’s GS, Alison Furey ‘99 was the top Williams finisher with an impressive seventh place finish in a time of 2:08.14. Rounding out the top twenty for Williams was Darah Schofield ‘01 in eleventh (2:08.98) and Rebecca Young ‘00 in twentieth (2:21.24). The course was paced by Dartmouth’s Gusty Swift who came in first in 2:04.44.

Furey thought that the course was set up well, but conditions were tough because of the weather. She explained that the first half of the course was hard and icy, but the second half was much softer so salt was used to harden the snow. The salt created small bumps which made the course more challenging. Furey was pleased with how she handled the course saying, “I needed a top 10 finish. I was really happy with it.”

The second day of the carnival featured the men’s and women’s slalom course set up by Darthmouth coach Peter Dodge. Darah Schofield ‘01, who finished eleventh the day before, led the women’s team with a twelfth place finish with a time of 1:44.55. The top finisher Jennifer Collins completed the course in 1:39.64.

For the men’s slalom the leader for Williams was Bunge Cook ‘98 with his 1:32.39 finish that earned him fourteenth place. After the run Cook commented that, “it feels great to do well on the home hill.” Dartmouth’s Andrew Pennock flew down the course in 1:26.77 to seal the Dartmouth sweep of all four races.

Although Dartmouth was a force on the alpine slopes, UVM’s nordic skiers swept the cross-country races. When the points were totaled for both Nordic and Alpine races, UVM came up on top of Dartmouth 780 points to 746 to win the overall carnival. Host school Williams came in seventh with 444 points. Other notable combined finishes were Middlebury in third with 678 points, UNH in fourth with 556 points and Bates in fifth with 517 points.

The next and final carnival of the year for the ski team will be the Middlebury Carnival next weekend in Vermont.