Men’s hockey dominates All-Dave Haimson records third straight shutout

The Williams men’s ice hockey team rode the outstanding play of goaltender David Haimson ‘00 to two shutout victories this past week against the University of Connecticut and American International College. Haimson has been on a tear of late, registering shutouts in his last three starts stopping 111 shots during that span. “With your goaltender playing like that, it really raises the confidence of the team,” said forward Bobby Moss ‘01.

The Ephmen defeated fellow ECAC East member UConn at home by a score of 4-0 to improve to 17-5-0 overall, 15-2-0 in their division. After a scoreless first period, Williams broke into the scoring column twelve minutes into the second period. Eric Demment ‘01 stole the puck in the Williams defensive zone and passed it to forward Jeff Russell ‘99, who put home a slap shot from just inside the blue line.

The Ephs would extend their lead to 2-0 five minutes into the third period, as a falling David Carillo ‘00 beat UConn goalie Marc Senerchia to the puck and scored a backhanded goal. The goal was the ninteenth this season for Carillo, the current team scoring leader.

Demment scored a short handed goal four minutes later, as he put a one timer past Senerchia off of a pass from Russell. Moss closed out scoring for the game with his fifteenth goal of the year, with assists from Chad Ogiba ‘00 and Carillo.

“It was nice for us to get it together as a team in this game,” commented Demment. Haimson tallied 33 saves in the shutout, improving his record to 15-5-0 on the season with a 2.23 goals against average. UConn goalie Senerchia stopped 33 shots in the loss.

The previous night the Ephs defeated American International College 2-0 in a surprisingly competitive game. “They’re not one of the better teams in the league, but they played a strong game,” Moss said. It was to be a defensive struggle, as Haimson and AIC goalie Tom Patty each served as strong anchors to their respective team’s defense.

The teams went to the locker room after the second period deadlocked in a scoreless tie. But the Ephs were simply too strong. Just one minute into the third period, Moss scored a power play goal, assisted by Demment and Russell. Haimson would make the lead stand up, stifling the last ditch efforts of the spirited AIC squad, finishing the game with 38 saves. Demment would add an empty netter with eight seconds remaining, making the final score 2-0. “I though [AIC] did a good job of trapping us in their blue line,” observed coach Bill Kangas. “I was very pleased with the way our guys played.”

The Ephs will play their final two regular season games this weekend. “These last two games are really big for us. If we can win them, we’ll have a strong chance of qualifying for the national championships,” Moss said. The Ephmen will face off against Conn College on Friday.