Higgins hit b-ball milestone

The fourth-ranked women’s basketball team began their week with a decisive 75-61 victory over the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts. Kathleen Higgins ‘99 led Williams with 19 points, surpassing the 1,100-point mark and becoming the fifth-highest female basketball scorer in Williams history.

Combining for 18 rebounds Rebecca Brooks ‘00 (11 points, seven rebounds) and Erin Duffy ‘99 (13 points, 11 rebounds, three blocks) dominated inside. Caroline Nesbit ‘98 worked the backcourt with five points and three assists.

Coming in strong off the bench were Alana Teutonico ‘98 (eight points), Katie Ford ‘00 (six points), and Robyn Goldman ‘01 (five points). Kelly Zukowski led Mass College with 19 points and 13 rebounds.

Williams played their second game of the week at Bates on Friday night and suffered a disappointing defeat. Despite leading 37-31 at the half, Williams was unable to hold onto the lead, losing 72-67.

Higgins led the team with 19 points (six rebounds, four assists) and Brooks put forth a solid performance, notching 12 points and grabbing nine rebounds. The Ephs were supported by Goldman, who had one of her strongest games of the season, scoring 11 points and Laura Brenneman ‘99 who contributed six points. Sam Daigneault ‘00 and Teutonico each got five rebounds and four points.

Although Williams had several strong performances it just wasn’t enough for a victory. Coach Pat Manning said, “It was a really tough game. We kept exchanging leads in the second half, and they made their free throws down the stretch.” Sixth-ranked Bates was lead by Katy Dutille, who had a career game with an astounding 27 points and 19 rebounds.

Bouncing back from their Friday night loss, the Ephs defeated Tufts on Saturday, 85-80. Once again free throws made the difference, however this time it was Williams who made them. Nesbit (nine points, three assists) and Higgins (18 points, five assists) went seven for eight and eight for nine respectively from the line. Rebecca Brooks dominated the post with 26 points and 10 rebounds, while Duffy pitched in 13 points before fouling out.

The Ephs proved to be too much for the Jumbos, despite an amazing 35 point game from Carrie Hironka who made seven three-pointers. Rounding out the week at 17-4, the William’s women eagerly await the Northeast standings which will ultimately determine whether or not they continue play into the post-season.