Difficult times on Maine swing for women’s hockey

It was a tough week for women’s ice hockey, as it started out with a defeat of Trinity College and ended with two dissapointing losses one to Bowdoin College and the other to the University of Maine. The teams record now stands at 7-11-1.

As soon as they stepped on the ice, the Ephwomen expected to dominate the Trinity Bantams as the Ephs were simply stronger skaters and puck handlers. But the Bantam goalie, Shanna Henderson, was not going to give up the game that easily. Of 30 eph shots in the first period Henderson stopped 28, and had 77 saves for the whole game.

Sharon Rackow ’98 got on the scoreboard first with help from linemates Emmy Starr ’98 and Anna Groskin ’98. The combination of Rackow, Starr and Groskin seemed to be unstoppable as just over three minutes later they collaborated on another goal with Starr being the one to slam the puck into the back of the net this time.

In the second period the Ephs doubled their score in an effort to assert their dominance over Trinity. Rackow struck again early in the period off assists from Starr and Groskin. Katie Gold ’00 got in on the scoring action at the halfway mark. She was assisted on her goal by Victoria Goldman ’01 and Cara Shortsleeve ’00.

Trinity was not going to give up the game that easily and they stepped on the ice for the third period looking for a comeback. At just under seven minutes into the period Devon Binch scored an unassisted goal for Trinity and less than a minute later Tricia Malinnowski brought Trinity to within two goals of Williams. Williams quelched the Trinity comeback attempt at 10:13 in the third period when Emily Small ’00 scored off of assists from Abby Sayer ’00 and Jess Charland ’98, leaving the final score at 5-2.

Williams netminder Kate Niederhoffer ’99 had two saves, and Becky Sanborn ’98 had 10 in the victory.

Unfortunately the Ephs could not continue that momentum into the weekend when they traveled to Maine to face off against Bowdoin. In the beginning of the first period Williams outplayed thePolar Bears and it looked like they might avenge an earlier season loss. After the first period the score was even.

But at some point the Eph defense fell apart. Despite many close scoring attempts Williams could only muster 19 shots to Bowdoin’s 33. Niederhoffer made 29 saves in the 4-0 loss.

It looked like Williams was going to turn things around against the University of Maine the following day. After the first period Williams led 1-0 and was doing a good job containing the aggressive Maine offense. The goal was scored as the first period was winding down. Kristen Lee ’01 took a shot from the blue line and Groskin was the first player on the rebound flipping it up past the outstretched glove of UMaine goalie Amy Oliver.

UMaine scored two goals in the second period and one in the third to take the game away from the Ephs. Despite the fact that Williams outshot the Black Bears 26-14 they could not seem to find the openings in the net. Niederhoffer notched 11 saves in the loss.

Williams will return to action on Thursday night at 7:30 when they face off against University of Southern Maine.