Williams swimmers sink Tufts

In a meet that brought out the emotions of both the men’s and women’s teams, the Williams College Swim Team concluded their dual meet season in style. Tufts University, fell to the men by a score of 175-119 while the Lady Ephs polished off their perfect dual meet season with a decisive victory.

Despite a rocky start the men climbed back. Down early after a disqualification in the 200-yard medley relay, Jason Frink ’00 was not to be denied in that Herculean test of manhood, the 1000 freestyle. That is until Cyrus King ’00 glimpsed his training partner and suitemate at the halfway mark. The two slugged it out over the course of the race emerging with a 1-2 finish.

The 200 free found sophomores Pat Burton and Jason Oraker claiming the second and third spots for the Ephs. The 100 Backstroke saw two ephmen claim a crucial 1-2 placing. Geoff Allen ’01 and his high school teammate Alex Poole ’00 swam their way to decisive victory.

Quick to recover and up against a tough opponent in the 100 breaststroke, Frink captured second place easily. Brian Strickler ’01 and Jon Francis ’99 secured third and fourth for the Ephmen.

Senior co-captain Tom Gratian powered his way to a strong win in the 200 butterfly. Freshman Paul Freidburg aided the Eph victory with his solid silver performance. The 50 free found Oraker and Don Wood ’00 sprinting their way to second and third. In the 100 free King found himself in the not uncommon situation of being finished before anyone knew he had even begun, a skill actually applauded in the pool.

Freshman standout Allen captured the 200 backstroke narrowly missing a national cut. Dave Erickson ’00 swam to a decisive second.

In 200 breaststroke Bevan Londergan ’00 emerged with his top swim of the season and an Eph win. This was ably complimented by the otter-like silver effort of Francis.

The 500 freestyle gave the Ephs their first sweep of the day as Frink, Mike Hodel ’99 and Jeremy Faust ’01 each posted their best times of the season. In the 100 butterfly Freidburg, Poole and Chris Rodriguez ’99 claimed some key points for the men. Not to be outdone, King captured his third victory for the day in the 200 individual medley (IM) and was assisted in the point scoring by Gratien and Wood. The men’s meet drew to a close with the 200 freestyle relay posting a fast time and touching out the Jumbos. Or so it seemed.

What followed was perhaps the greatest solo effort ever witnessed in the Muir pool. With the dual meet season over, Fumi Tosu ’01 climbed the blocks to attempt to make his NESCAC time in a 100 breaststroke time trial after already securing the 200 breaststroke.

Behind the wings of both teams screaming for the lone swimmer, Tosu accomplished the unthinkable. At the halfway point he clocked in a New England qualifying time for the 50 breaststroke and went on to secure his 100 time as well. Demonstrating the value of double sessions during winter study, the freshman qualified in all three breaststrokes.

The women rounded out their season with confident efficiency. Samantha Grant ’01 captured the top finish in the 50 backstroke in her last meet of the year. The Ephs also took the 50 butterfly and the 50 breaststroke to get the meet started right.

Proving no end to the range of talent on their team, the Lady Ephs saw Marla Robertson ’98 take down her own school record in the 1000 freestyle with a 10:28.26. Lanie Holzapfel ‘00 secured her fastest time ever and supplied the women with third place points. The 800 Free Relay of Jessica Stokes ’99, Kate Nolan ’99, Amy Warren ’01 and Tiffany Talley ’99 took the Jumbo women to town.

With a capacity crowd cheering for the women, Jocelyn Sutton ’01, Grant, Katie Darling ’00 and co-captain Amanda Griffith ‘98 found the only competition in the pool to be themselves as they secured first through fourth with polished in the 50 backstroke Lyssa Castonguay ’01 captured the top place in the 100 freestyle. The grueling 400 IM saw co-captain Tory Nicholson ’98, Molly Cummins ’00, and Darling go 1-2-3 against Tufts’ squad.

The divers swept the boards as Kristine Taylor ’01 and Heather Cyr ’00 went 1-2 on the one and three meter events and posted national qualifying dives. G. Chris Wendell ’00, forced to dive in the women’s slot, captured both boards and national cuts as his team cheered.

A confident Coach Samuelson placed Erin Anderson ’00 in with a field of Jumbos for the 100 breaststroke. Finishing with aplomb, the solo sophomore continued the win streak for the Ephs. Charis Anderson ’01 accomplished the same feat with an equally unfriendly field as she powered her way to a 200 butterfly victory. The 50 freestyle found Carissa Carter ’01 sprinting her way to a second place finish for the women against a thick and fast heat.

As the lead grew for Williams the Ephs showed no mercy. Replicating the 100 backstroke, the 200 saw another sweep of the points by hard working Nicholson, E. Anderson, Beth Boyd ’00 and Griffith. In a sterling effort Stokes stroked to smooth silver in the 200 breaststroke only one-tenth behind the victor. Moira Shanahan ’01 followed closely with a third place finish.

Clearly a day for the distance women, Talley took apart the competition with her top place finish in the 500 freestyle. The 200 IM sent a statement to the league that this team is not to be reckoned with come New England’s. Robertson, Boyd and Sutton went 1-2-3 as C. Anderson rounded things out with a fifth place finish.

Darling captured the 100 butterfly and her teammate Warren and Carter secured second and fourth. With alumni and family watching, the women ended the pain for the wounded Jumbos as Warren, Sarah Watts ’00, E. Anderson, and Stokes captured the 200 Free Relay to close the meet.

The women (8-0, Little Three Champions) and the men (7-1) return to action at the NESCAC championships in Middletown, Conn. on Feb. 20-22 and Feb. 7-Mar. 1, respectively.