Swarthmore and Wesleyan lose to wrestling powerhouse

The third-ranked Williams wrestling team (15-5) rebounded from its loss to second-ranked Springfield College last week by drubbing Swarthmore 49-0 and Wesleyan 48-0. The Ephs were led by freshman Dan DiCenzo and sophomore Glenn Prichett, who both recorded two pins.

Eph co-captain Marty West ’98 set the tone last Saturday by pinning Swarthmore’s Francisco Yeo in 4:37. Matt Gunther ’00 followed with a 12-1 win, and the rout had begun. Ken Marines ’01, Rob Quan ’00, and co-captain Jeremy Kay ’98 all won on points. At 158 lbs, DiCenzo pinned Matt Kahn in 1:23. Prichett continued the onslaught with the fastest pin of the day, taking a mere 31 seconds to pin Jesse Bean. Paul Bethe ’00 was victorious 19-7, and Ken Ojukwu ’01 won by forfeit. Heavyweight Chris Sweatman ‘00 capped the shutout with a 33 second pin over Paul Willenberg.

Against Wesleyan (2-9), the Ephs also started off with a pin, this one by Michael Kilmurray ’00. In a match of senior co-captains, the Ephs’ West prevailed 6-5 over David Mindler. Marines and Quan both won close matches, and Kay won by technical fall over Chris Jeffries. DiCenzo pinned Tom Ratliff in :49, and Prichett followed with a 2:28 pin. Freshman backup Isaac Dietzel showed the depth and potential of this young Eph squad with an impressive 11-3 win over junior Rich Sewell. Ojukwu collected his second forfeit, and Wesleyan forfeited the heavyweight division to Sweatman.

In last week’s action, the Ephs lost 31-7 to second-ranked Springfield College. Head coach Mike Whalen assessed the outcome, “We didn’t wrestle as well as we have been [wrestling]. Springfield came out on a mission after their upset loss last weekend. They dictated the tempo of the matches. Against good people you can’t give up points early and expect to win.”

Two Ephmen were victorious. Fourth-ranked 142 lb. Rob Quan beat fifth-ranked Craig Vedrani 10-7, and at 150 lbs., and third-ranked Jeremy Kay topped Chip Frazier 15-2. Many matches were close; top-ranked Glenn Prichett lost to second-ranked John Roden 4-3, with the winning point

awarded by time factors. Sixth-ranked Eph West suffered a close 5-2 defeat at the hands of second-ranked Calvin Johnson.

The Ephs’ next meet is a Valentine’s Day showdown against Kings Point and top-ranked Norwich in Williamstown.