Skoidats to play Valentine’s Day Concert

Old school rhythm. Valentine’s Day. Free admission. That’s what it all comes down to Saturday night in Mission Dining Hall when WCFM kicks off second semester with a free concert. Sure, flowers have worked in the past, but what better way to woo that special someone than to dance all night to the infectious rhythm of Missoula, Montana’s premier ska band?

Opening the show at nine are the North Adams based Detriments. Those who went to the Currier ska concert earlier this year will remember them as an excellent live act.

The featured act, the Skoidats, formed in 1995 and have toured the country twice, opening for bands such as The Blue Meanies, the Scofflaws, and Let’s Go Bowling. Skoidats performances focus on powerful rhythm and a tight horn section, with a trombone and two tenor saxophones. Blending ska, oi!, jazz and punk, the band’s sound is firmly rooted in the old school tradition oflegendary ska forefathers the Ethiopians and the Skatalites.

If you want to hear the bands before the show, tune into WCFM 91.9 FM at 10:00 Thursday night for “Longplay.” Erik Klemetti will be playing the Skoidats’ new album, The Times, in its entirety. Listeners who call in have the chance to win free copies of the CD.

Mission Dinng Hall. 9 p. m., Valentine’s Day. Find a little love, and a lot of ska.