Men’s track sweeps Quad Cup Meets

On Saturday, the men’s track team made the trek north to Lewiston, Maine for their last quad cup meet against regional powerhouses Bates, Colby, and WPI. Like a plague of locusts, the boys swarmed upon their foes and when the dust cleared, they had scored 252.5 points to Bates’ 166, Colby’s 94.5, and WPI’s 69.

While the meet tested the team’s physical prowess and mental acuity, the real challenge of the day was found on the road home. Captain Derek Sasaki-Scanlon ‘98, after winning the pole vault (14’) and the long jump (20’8 1/4”), extended his MacGyver-esque day in tackling the hobbled Morgan Bus engine. Sasaki-Scanlon led the crack team of ex-boy scouts Yuneng Li ‘99, Ben Chaffin ’98, and Tim Gustafson ’98, all vehemently determined to prove the practicality of a liberal arts education.

After five minutes in the parking lot, the valiant Ephmen abandoned the most commonly used tactic of staring at the engine and went to work. About half an hour and five rolls of duct tape later Fitchburg’s finest arrived to maintain. Soon afterwards, the hardy crew was back on track, cruising at a brisk 35 miles an hour, which was only slightly slower than what Chido Alzoie ‘01 was clocked at while winning the 55 meter dash in 6.76 seconds.

The distance runners were undaunted by the prospect of having to run home after their strong showing at the meet. The tone was set by Jeff Edmonds ‘99 (2:36.35), Yuneng Li ‘99 (2:37.13), Tim Karpoff ‘01 and Kevin Stevens ’00, who swept the 1000-meter finishing 1-4 respectively. The 3000-meter runners also managed to the sweep top places as Paul Alsdorf ‘99 took first in 8:40.9, followed by Dan McCue ‘99 (8:48.3) and freshman Tim Campbell (8:48.59). Leading the team in the mile were freshmen Jay Slowick and Reed Harlow who placed third and fourth. Slowick, not satisfied with his mile finish, came back with a vengeance to win the 800-meter in 2:01.55.

Not quite so undaunted were the throwers and vaulters who were relaxing after many noteworthy performances. Dave Stulsatz ‘99 with a heave of 52’9” won the shot put by almost ten feet. Matt Campanelli ‘00 placed fifth against tough competition in the weight throw with his hurl of 48’ 1.5”.

The vaulters had a brilliant day filled with many personal bests including sophomore Colin Chard’s jump of 12’6” and senior Tim Gustafson’s of 12’ which placed them fourth and sixth respectively. Freshman jumper Jason Mirach owned the triple jump with his first place leap of 40’9” and was followed by fellow frosh Duane Lee and sophomore Pat Adair who tied for third place with jumps of 39’3”.

Not to be outdone, the sprinters completed a successful day marked by junior Aaron Decamp’s victory in the 400m (52.97). Dave Covington ‘01 was a strong third in a time of 54.57. Alozie came off of his victory in the 55m to take second in the 200m with a time of 23.05. The hurdlers were in fine form as well, as Sasaki-Scanlon and Jake Israelow ‘01 took second and third.

The victory marked the ninth straight year that the Ephs have gone undefeated in Quad Cup competition. Next week, after calling up Car Talk, the boys will travel to MIT to compete and exchange notes with the mechanical engineers. Bus pending, of course.