Men’s hockey oppresses opposition

The Ephs continued their impressive season on the ice over dead week, piling up four wins and a single loss. The team counted on their impenetrable defense to propel them as they logged a shut out against Salem State on top of a lopsided victory over Southern Maine this past weekend.

Keeping the intensity high was Eph goalie Dave Haimson ‘00, who tallied 40 saves and received his second shut out of the season when Williams beat Salem State on Saturday by a score of 3-0. Williams’ latest win improves their record to 15-5-0 overall and 13-2-0 in the conference.

“We’re starting to play the way we were at the beginning of the season,” Williams’ head coach Bill Kangas said in response to the game. “Everyone has been making a contribution… [and]we’ve been working very well without the puck both offensively and defensively.”

Williams scored their first goal 1:54 into the game as David Carrillo ‘00 received the puck within the blue line, skated up the ice, and beat the goalie one-on-one. At the 14:20 mark, Eric Demment ‘01 took a slap shot which was deflected in by John Tatum ‘98. The second period was scoreless, as was most of the third. The Ephs scored their final goal 3:26 into the third period as Demment scored assisted by Ryan Crisp ‘01.

The win came on the heals of Friday night’s 9-1 blowout victory against the University of Southern Maine. Williams came out strong in the first period, with Stephen Owen ‘01 getting the Ephs on the scoreboard first. Bobby Moss ‘01 increased the lead to 2-0 with power play goal late in the period.

David Carillo ‘00 notched his own power play goal early in the second period. Southern Maine notched their lone goal of the game 10 minutes into the period. But before time could run out in the second period Joe Butler ‘01 found the back of the net, and John Tatum ‘98 tallied a short handed goal.

Four goals were scored in the third period, with Butler scoring his second and Ryan Crisp ‘01, Dan Bullock ‘98, and Mike Johnson ‘99 also contributing to the scoring. Haimson had 29 saves in the victory, and Damion Zunino ‘00, added 5 more. “The team’s playing great,” commented Carrillo on the team’s overwhelming win. He continued, “right now, we`re playing at the top of our game. We played from our ‘net out’ strategy, where we focus on our defensive strengths and work out from there.”

The team got their second ECAC East loss of the season a week ago as they were defeated by Hamilton 3-1. Williams’ only other ECAC East loss was against Middlebury. Haimson tallied 52 saves in the game, after keeping 40 of Hamilton’s 41 shots out of the net in the first two periods. Williams ended the first period with a 1-0 lead but Hamilton battled back scoring 1 in the second period and two in the third. Williams’ lone goal came at 14:56 into the first period as Carrillo scored a power play goal. Jeff Russell ‘99 and Eric Demment ‘01 were credited with the assists.

The prior weekend, the Ephs traveled to New Hampshire to take on St. Anselm College. Despite two late third period goals, the A’s could not surpass Williams, as the Ephs prevailed 3-2 . No goals were scored during the first period, but Williams’ Tatum lit up the scoreboard with a power play goal at 1:13 in the second, assisted by Carillo and Russell. Carillo notched his own goal just over a minute later while the Ephs had a man advantage. He was assisted on the play by Russell and Demment.

In the third period Jon Collins ‘99 chipped in with a goal of his own, and was assisted by Demment and Bullock. Notably, Williams capitalized on both of its power plays in the game. The Hawks outshot the Ephs 14-4 in the final period, but could not get more than two past Haimson who had 30 saves for the Ephs. “Once again, the best thing we have going for us is our defense,” said Carrillo about the win. “When the defense is working, everything else comes along. Mike Johnson, Jim Labbe, and all the others are doing a killer job back there for Haimson anchoring the team.”

Williams scored two goals in each period of play in their 6-5 victory over New England College. Collins had two goals and an assist to lead the Ephs. Carrillo and Russell each picked up a goal and an assist. Other goal scorers for Williams were Phil Deguire ’98 and Butler. Demment had two assists for the Ephs. Williams goalie Haimson tallied 35 saves in the victory.

The Ephmen look to continue their two game win streak when they face off against American International College this Friday at 7:30 at Lansing-Chapman Rink.