Women’s track pulls out close victory

This past Saturday, the Williams women’s track team succeeded in squeaking out a victory over Middlebury and Westfield State. The outcome of this exciting meet was uncertain until the last event but the team was able to pull together for the win.

When the points were tallied, the final scores were Williams (181), Middlebury (173), and Westfield State (97). Sophomore Melissa Murphy displayed her endurance and skill, “taking it for the team” and scoring in six events.

Murphy started the day as part of the winning 200-meter relay. Later, her runway leaps brought a first in the triple jump and a second in the long jump. She grabbed fourth in her dreaded high jump, and also took fourth in the fifty five hurdles (10.2 sec). Murphy ended her long day with a fifth in the 800-meter (2:40.5).

Catherine Bolton ’98 also came through in the field events, winning the high jump and taking fifth in the shot put, despite her injured status. Sophomores Shannon Mark and Katie Simpson earned key points in the throwing events, as Mark placed first in the shot put (10.66m) and fifth in the weight throw (9.66m) and Simpson took second in the weight with a throw of 10.61m.

On the track, the Ephwomen showed their dominance in the long sprints. In the 600-meter run, freshman Yvonne Stone led the race and held off her competitors, breezing through in 1:43.1. Brooke Harnisch ’99 looked strong in her debut as a 600m runner, finishing second in 1:44.3. Erin Davies ’00 rounded out the Williams group and her time of 1:55.5 earned her fourth place.

Escaping the 600-meter this week, tri-captain Jill Metzger ran a quick 400-meter race and missed first place by only a tenth of a second, finishing second in 61.8.

Mid-distance runners also gave strong performances. Tara Crowley ’00 won first place in the 1000-meter with a time of 3:09.5 and Edie DeNiro ’99, in her first meet of the year, followed in third with a time of 3:22.9. Earlier, DeNiro had grabbed third in the 1500-meter, in 5:14.8 while Rebecca Atkinson ’00 came through in 5:21.2 to take fifth place.

In the 800-meter, Hagan McCurdy ’01 had an amazing race and earned second in 2:26.1. In the sprint races, freshman Judi Derenzo proved her speed, placing second in the 55-meter dash with a time of 8.0 seconds and fourth in the 200-meter in 29.2. Derenzo was also second in the triple jump.

Fellow first year students showed their mettle in the grueling 3000-meter. Elizabeth Roller finished fourth with a time of 11:18.9 and Maywa Montenegro was eighth in 11:35.1.

The relays were once again a highlight of the meet and all three garnered first places. The unchallenged 200-meter team of Harnisch, Derenzo, Murphy and Metzger cruised around the track in 1:58.6. The 400-meter team of Harnisch, Atkinson, McCurdy and Metzger beat the competition soundly in 4:29.6. In perhaps the most exciting event of the day, the 800-meter team of Stone, Lauren Krisko ’00, Julie Cantatore ’99 and Crowley managed to keep ahead of their Middlebury opponents and raced through in 10:07.9.

Up ahead for the women’s team is a Quad Cup meet at Smith next Saturday. They will return home for competition on February 7th.