Men’s track embarasses Middlebury, Westfield State in home match-up

The Williams Mens Track Team was at home this weekend to compete against Westfield State and Middlebury in their second Quad Cup meet of the season. Williams easily carried the day with a total team score of 274 points compared with 148.5 for Westfield and 111.5 for Middlebury.

The Ephs dominance was apparent throughout the meet on Saturday. Members of the Williams team placed first in 14 of the individual events. Setting the pace was senior captain Derek Sasaki-Scanlon who competed in 5 events and won the pole vault.

In the sprints, freshman standout Chido Alozie led the way with 1st place finishes in both the 55m and 200m dashes. Close on his heels in both events was Jon Pearson ’00 who finished 2nd in the 55m and 3rd in the 200m.

The Ephs were also strong in the field events. Dave Stuhlsatz ’99, who has already qualified for nationals, took 1st place in the shot put with a toss of 15.30m. He also finished 2nd in the weight throw. The jumpers were equally as impressive with Duane Lee ’01 winning the high jump and Yang Wang ’01 and Alex Wong ’99 taking care of the horizontal jumps.

The distance runners also came up big for the Ephs with vicories in all of the events. Junior Yuneng Li won the 600m with a blistering 1:26.4 which is already faster than his best time for the event from last year. In the 800, freshman Jay Slowik blew away the field, broke two minutes and qualified for both ECACs and Div III New Englands. Slowik’s time was 1:59.8.

Geoff Hutchison stepped down in distance this weekend and ran away with the mile in a time of 4:34. And, in the longest race of the day, the 3000m, the Ephs managed to go 1-2-3, with senior Brendan Burns leading the way, followed by juniors Jeffrey Edmonds and Eric Smith.

The Ephs continue in their Quad Cup series next weekend with another meet at home. The meet is scheduled to start at 1:00 on Saturday in Towne field house.